Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A healthy twist on an old time favorite. Calories: 197 Fat: 2.5 g Carbohydrates: 35.8 g Protein: 8.1 g
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup dates (chopped)
- 1 pinch nutmeg or 1 pinch cinnamon
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine egg whites, egg, milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat until combined but not foamy.
- Add cooked rice and dates and mix well.
- Pour rice mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Place casserole dish in a baking pan then place in oven. Pour boiled water into baking pan around the casserole dish to a depth of about an inch.
- Bake, uncovered at 325° F for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.
Unfortunately, this recipe did not turn out...and I was so excited to try it. My fiance loves rice pudding and he just did not like this. It mainly tastes like egg. Actually, thats all it taste like. Sorry, but I just won't be making this one again.