Recipe by TGirl,RN
Posting in response to a request for a yummy side dish that will feed a crowd. This rice dish will serve 10-12 people.
Top Review by Kovie
We did enjoy this recipe but the 2nd time I made a few changes which we felt made it even better. Since my family isnt fond of celery I only used 1 cup. I then added a package of frozen green peas for color and taste and also 2 beaten eggs which seemed to make it more moist. I took it to a church supper and none was left to take home!
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, bring rice and 3 and 1/2 cups of broth to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet and saute onions and celery until softened, then add remaining broth and all other remaining ingedients.
- Combine rice with sauteed vegetables, pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: use vegetable stock and margarine instead of chicken broth and butter to make this a vegetarian dish.