Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
We were at a friends last night and my mum was saying how she longs for the recipe books we left in New Zealand. Our friend happened to have some and mum was speechless, this recipe is one mum used to make and i LOVE it to pieces. i am posting it so i have it for when we give the book back. it's from a Australian womans weekly. these recipes never fail
- 2 tablespoons dessert rice (can use short grain rice, but mum always used dessert rice) or 2 tablespoons short-grain rice (can use short grain rice, but mum always used dessert rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- bring water and salt to the boil.
- gradually add rice.
- boil rapidly uncovered 10 minutes.
- drain well.
- beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together, add rice and sultanas.
- add milk gradually, stir to combine.
- pour into ovenproof dish.
- stand in baking dish with enough water to come up sides of the dish.
- bake in moderate oven 35 minutes.
- slip a long fork under the skin that has formed on top, stir gently to distribute rice evenly.
- reduce heat to mederalty slow. bake a further 15 minutes then stir with a fork again.
- cook further 15 to 20 minutes, or until set.