Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
Serve this instead of potatoes at your next dinner party. It can be vegetarian if vegetable stock is substituted for the chicken stock. This can also be served cold. The left overs can be frozen in one or two serving packages.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup onion
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Soak lentils in water for 2 hours then drain.
- Combine lentils, rice and onions in large casserole.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cover.
- Bake@ 425 for 25 minutes.
- Stir and mix well and bake 20 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable stock.
This is so good. No added fat with a healthy serving of Protein and Carbohydrates. The taste is just sooo delicious; with spice. You have just got to try this recipe!!! I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. I am not a keen lover of Vagen food, BUT WOW. My son, who is such a difficult person to please if the meal does not have meat served with it, just raved about this dish. Congratulations Tebo, you have a winner here. Your recipe will be a regular on our monthly family menu. By the way, this was so easy to prepare. Assembled in a matter of minutes. A good recipe to use when you walk in the door from work etc.; prepare the Baked Rice and Lentils, pop it in the oven, bathe and relax, then eat. Serve with steamed vegetables or salad.
Lentils and Rice two of my favourite foods and absolutely delicious, nice subtle flavours. Incredibly easy and a feel good, comfort food. Cooked this tonight with Tebo's recipe for Vietnamese Cabbage. Great combination. Baked Lentils and Rice will be a staple in our menu. Great recipe!
This was nice but it came out a little dry. Next time I will add more water.