1/1 Photo of Baked Red Velvet Donuts
Lynn in MA's Note:
Classic red velvet cake transformed into a donut, glazed with a sweet and slightly tangy icing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 21. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease with vegetable shortening donut pan(s).
- 32. Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- 43. In another large bowl, mix together the sugar and egg. Add the melted butter, melted chocolate, vanilla extract and buttermilk; mix well to thoroughly combine.
- 54. Gradually add the dry ingredients in the first bowl to the wet mixture, mixing just until combined.
- 65. With a spoon or a pastry bag, carefully fill prepared donut pan(s) with the batter, filling each opening about two-thirds full (or you could use a standard ice cream scoop, filling scant-level; dollop on each donut opening and with wet finger, open up the hole, pushing the batter to the sides evenly).
- 76. Bake for 12-15 minutes (donuts should spring back with touched lightly).
- 87. Cool completely on wire rack.
- 9Prepare icing:.
- 102 tablespoons water.
- 111 tablespoon buttermilk.
- 121/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 132 cups powdered sugar.
- 14With a wire whisk, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- 158. Dip the donut tops in the icing, letting excess fall back into the bowl (be careful not to let crumbs get in the icing). Let dipped donuts dry/set on rack.
- 16In the alternative, you could use a homemade or canned cream cheese frosting to top the donuts.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Red Velvet Donuts
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.7
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.0 mg
- Sodium 310.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g