Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mediterranean fish recipes are simple, using typical ingredients and bring out some of the most wonderful flavours. Using fully ripe tomatoes, olive oil and anchovis give this Corsican recipe for Rougets (red mullet) its typical flavour. The preparation is very easy, but the outcome is fantastic, fish full of flavours, bringing back memories of summer.
- 2 (1/2-2/3 lb) red mullet, gut and scales removed
- 2 tomatoes (should make about 1/2 pound)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons breadcrumbs, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven (425 F, 220 C).
- Dice the tomatoes and put into small bowl and add parsley. Salt slightly and add some pepper too. Set aside.
- Clean the fish and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put olive oil into oven proofed dish. Add finely chopped anchovis fillets and sliced garlic.
- Cook in the oven for about 5 minutes. Then take it out of the oven.
- Add the tomatoes and mix. Put red mullets on top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Arrange butter in small pieces on breadcrumbs.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until fish is done. Fish is done, when it flakes easily or when dorsal fin can easily be removed.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- NOTE: You should use Red Mullet (whole fish for this recipe.
Simple and very tasty recipe. Be sure to have some fresh bread on hand to mop up the delicious sauce.