Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This recipe uses a fabulous whole fish popular in Asian cuisine - the Red Emporer. Any whole fish will do. Time does not include 4 hours marinating time. This recipe is from jones the grocer.
- 3 kg fish, scaled and cleaned (red emporer)
- 600 ml mirin
- 150 ml fish sauce or 150 ml soy sauce
- 200 ml white wine
- 80 ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 chilies, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Slash fish diagonally 4-5 times to the bone.
- Rub whole fish with salt and put into a deep dish.
- Mix all marinade ingredients together and pour over the fish.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours turning over after 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Stuff belly of fish with large balls of aluminium foil to retain its shape and also allow you to stand it upright in a baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked to your liking and flesh is opaque and flakes easily.