These are really yummy muffins. My friend Jenny brought these to a potluck once and I asked her for the recipe. I am giving the original measurements for the topping as she gave me, however I prefer to make less toppping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup granny smith apple, grated
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (or less)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or less)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (or less)
- Prehat oven to 350 F and have ready greased muffin tins.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and nutmeg.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is like fine crumbs.
- Mix together milk, eggs, and grated raw apple.
- Add all at once to the flour mixture and then stir together quickly and thoroughly.
- Fill greased tins 2/3s full and bake 20-35 minutes, or until a toothpick tests done.
- Remove from pan and dip tops first in melted butter then in cinnamon sugar mixture.