Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This quick and easy casserole is good enough for company and freezes well. I strongly recommend using the brands I list in the ingredients, unfortunately they may only be available in Canada, in which case use the closest substitute you can find.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 398 ml president's choice splendido canned unpeeled cherry tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups prego original spaghetti sauce
- 300 ml olivieri alfredo pasta cooking sauce low-fat alfredo sauce, divided
- 350 g cheese and spinach ravioli, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, pizza cheese, President's Choice Splendido Less Fat Pizza Blend divided
- For maximum flavour prepare the meat sauce in advance and refrigerate until needed.
- In a heavy Dutch oven on high heat brown the ground beef. Stir constantly so so meat breaks up and is not in big chunks.
- Add onions and garlic and reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir in oregano and Italian herbs and the red wine.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up until they are crushed but be careful - they pop and the liquid spurts out!
- Pour in the Prego sauce, cover with lid and reduce to lowest heat.
- Simmer on low 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to check it doesn't get dried out. Cool completely and set aside until you're read to assemble the casserole.
- Prepare ravioli as per package instructions, don't over cook. Drain well.
- In a sprayed 9 x 9 inch casserole, spread a thin layer of meat sauce, cover with half the ravioli.
- Add another layer of meat sauce. On top of this layer drop half the Alfredo sauce by the spoonful, spread it gently, lastly sprinkle with a half cup of the grated cheese.
- Repeat the second layer: ravioli, meat sauce, Alfredo sauce and remaining half cup grated cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to set up before serving.
- Serve with green salad and garlic bread.