Recipe by PanNan
This recipe was posted in the Houston Chronicle. A great appetizer for football and holiday season. It came from the chef at Prairie View A & M University.
Top Review by TxGriffLover
That chef at Prairie View A&M sure knows his Queso. We love Queso at our house. This was very good. The only change I made was instead of boiling the tomatillos, I smoked them in my stove-top smoker and smoked a jalapeno pepper as well. Thanks, PanNan! Made for ZWT5, for Hell's Kitchen Angels.
- 1 lb tomatillo
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (loosely packed)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 lb queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Remove husks from tomatillos.
- Boil tomatillos for about two minutes or until soft.
- Remove tomatillos from water and place in a blender or food processor.
- Add garlic, cilantro, lime juice, avocado, jalapeño and salt.
- Purée until smooth.
- Place cheese in ovenproof serving dish.
- Pour sauce over cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with tortilla chips.