Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vintage Southern Living
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 quail, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- hot cooked rice
- Combine 1/3 cup flour, salt, and pepper; dredge quail in flour mixture; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a big skillet; add in mushrooms and saute 4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from skillet; set aside.
- Melt ½ cup butter in skillet; brown quail on both sides.
- Remove quail to a 1 ½ quart casserole.
- Add ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon flour to pan drippings; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in chicken broth and sherry; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened and bubbly; stir in mushrooms.
- Pour mushroom gravy over quail; cover and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.