1/2 Photos of Baked Quail
1 hr 20 mins
Bone Man's Note:
This is the essential game-bird hunter's recipe. If you've never had quail, they are very mild white meat, all breast, really. In any case, this is a tasty recipe that easily deals with a good brace of birds. You could use this recipe for 2 or 3 (thawed) Cornish Game hens if you increase the baking time to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 quail (cleaned and rinsed)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon scallion, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 8 orange slices (for garnish)
- cooking spray
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 325-degrees F.
- 2If the quail have been shot in the wild, inspect them all for lead shot, removing any shot with tweezers or the point of a paring knife.
- 3Lightly rub all the quail, inside and out with the seasoned salt.
- 4In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms, bread crumbs, and table salt until the mushrooms tenderize a bit. Stuff the quail with this mixture.
- 5Using the same skillet, make a roux by pouring in the olive oil and browning the flour in it. Then, add the chicken stock, scallions, red pepper, and parsley to the roux and saute the mix for about 5 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- 6Next, spray a baking pan or large casserole dish with cooking spray and place the stuffed quail in it. Pour the sauce over the quail.
- 7Baked, uncovered, at 325-degrees F. for 45 minutes, basting 2 or 3 times during the baking process.
- 8Serve two quail to a person and garnish each plate with two orange slices. Serve cooked white rice as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Quail Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Quail
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.2
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 186.6 mg
- Sodium 1534.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 52.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: