Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Perfect for a vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving
Make and share this Baked Pumpkins with Wild Rice Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -6 lbs pumpkin (the number of pumpkins will depend on their size)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup steamed diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup grated soy cheese, , optional
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- With a sharp knife, cut a 4- to 6-inch-wide lid off the top of each pumpkin.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy fibers, (use seeds for roasted pumpkin seeds, if desired, or discard).
- Set a square of foil, over the opening cut on top of th pumpkin and set the lid on top of the foil (th foil is to keep the lid from falling back into the pumpkins).
- Place prepared pumpkins in a baking pan filled with about 1/2 inch of water and bake until the insides are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your pumpkins.
- Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- While the pumkins are baking prepare the rice.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic, and sauté, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the water, brown wild rice, parsley, salt, pepper, and turmeric, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, and stir in the peas, carrots and corn.
- If desired, fold in the Parmesan or soy cheese.
- Set aside until the pumpkins are done.
- When the pumpkins are finished baking, discard the foil; spoon the rice mixture into the pumpkins and cover with the lids and serve.
- When serving, be sure to serve some of the inside of the pumpkin along with the rice stuffing.
This was good fun to make! I halved the recipe and it made plenty of dinner for my DH, 2 teens and myself... lots of leftovers! Since this was labor intensive, I'd probably wait and to serve it again when I have company. My DS thought it was very cool to eat dinner out a pumpkin! I subbed frozen carrots in place of the steamed carrots with no problem. Thanks!