1 hr 20 mins
Perfect for a vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -6 lbs pumpkin (the number of pumpkins will depend on their size)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup steamed diced carrot
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup grated soy cheese, , optional
- 1Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- 2With a sharp knife, cut a 4- to 6-inch-wide lid off the top of each pumpkin.
- 3Use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy fibers, (use seeds for roasted pumpkin seeds, if desired, or discard).
- 4Set a square of foil, over the opening cut on top of th pumpkin and set the lid on top of the foil (th foil is to keep the lid from falling back into the pumpkins).
- 5Place prepared pumpkins in a baking pan filled with about 1/2 inch of water and bake until the insides are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your pumpkins.
- 6Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- 7While the pumkins are baking prepare the rice.
- 8In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- 9Add the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic, and sauté, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- 10Stir in the water, brown wild rice, parsley, salt, pepper, and turmeric, and bring to a simmer.
- 11Cover and cook over low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- 12Fluff with a fork, and stir in the peas, carrots and corn.
- 13If desired, fold in the Parmesan or soy cheese.
- 14Set aside until the pumpkins are done.
- 15When the pumpkins are finished baking, discard the foil; spoon the rice mixture into the pumpkins and cover with the lids and serve.
- 16When serving, be sure to serve some of the inside of the pumpkin along with the rice stuffing.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pumpkins with Wild Rice Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.0
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 408.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 11.3 g