Recipe by Daphne2002
This sounds like a wonderful fall or winter dish. (Have not tried it yet, but storing it here for safe keeping)
Top Review by Rita~
This is a 10 star dish! Lots of flavor. My husband that doesn`t like barley came back for thirds! I just loved it! Ok I cut the recipe in half no problem. I skipped the pumpkin not in season with no problem. I used cherry preserve and orange rind instead of the marmalade, No problem! And used regular not quick-cooking barley, just added orange juice to pot as it went dry! Took 30 minutes stove top! Daphne this was just wonderful!I loved this it will be made again. Thank you for turning me on to this delicious dish.
- 1 fresh pumpkin, about 10 inch in diameter or 1 another large squash
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups chicken stock, homemade or canned
- 3 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans navy beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the top from the pumpkin slightly lower than for a jack-o-lantern.
- Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook onions in sesame oil in a large skillet over low to medium heat until the onions are just clear, not brown.
- Stir in the garlic and cook briefly.
- Cook the barley in the stock for 10 minutes at a low simmer in a large covered saucepan.
- Stir together the onion mixture and the rest of the ingredients except garnish in a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin and fit the lid back in place.
- Place on a small pizza pan in the lower center of the oven and bake for 1hour.
- The pumpkin should be lightly browned.
- Serve the pumpkin surrounded by large green leaves.
- Remove the lid and lean it against the side of the pumpkin.
- Serve a piece of the pumpkin with the filling.