1/2 Photos of Baked Pumpkin Slices
My late mother-in-law made pumpkin this way, and it's the only way (apart from pumpkin pie) I like pumpkin! It's awfully hard to give quantities: please use your own judgement too. I do not know what kinds of pumpkin you have: our most-used one is called Boer pumpkin and has orange flesh and white skin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Oven: 325 deg F/160 deg C.
- 2The pumpkin need only be washed, should not be too old. Do not peel it. Slice like melon, and remove seeds.
- 3Arrange the slices either along the length of an oven dish, overlapping slightly, or in a round dish, again overlapping slightly.
- 4Smear the butter over the slices more or less as much as 2 good teaspoons per slice, and please do use real butter.
- 5Sprinkle the brown sugar over the buttered slices, and be generous.
- 6Sprinkle cinnamon over the whole lot, and then sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 7Bake until the pumpkin peel is soft and the dish looks done, with the sugar melted -- about 45 minutes. But please use your own judgement.
- 8We often made this in the oven of a black coal-and-wood fired stove on a farm, and simply checked to see when it was done.
- 9The pumpkin will be tender, of course, and the peel will taste like toffee and will be only slightly chewier, soft and edible. This is delicious if the pumpkin and flavours come together!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pumpkin Slices
Serving Size: 1 (4 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 25.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 14.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: