- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (3/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp cloves + 1/4 tsp ginger + 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 teaspoons milk
- FOR DOUGHNUTS: In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice (or individual spices), salt, and baking soda.
- Add pumpkin, eggs, milk, and butter, or margarine; beat with an electric mixer on low speed till mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with a 1/2-inch opening.
- Pipe onto 2 greased baking sheets in 3-inch circles.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 10- 12 minutes, or till golden brown.
- Cool doughnuts on a rack.
- FOR ICING: In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in enough milk to make a smooth icing of glazing consistency.
- place rack with doughnuts over waxed paper.
- Brush icing over doughnuts with pastry brush, or spoon over surface.
These are very good and I love the no-fried. The doughnuts cooled in no time. They are like a firmer pumpkin cake, but not hard or dry. The batter/dough is very doughy, so I recommend a ziploc bag and just cut off the tip - WAY EASIER than a pastry bag. It was hard still to get them in circles so the last leftover one I made in a stick shape - just a straight line. It tasted the same and was WAY easier so I will make all doughnut sticks next time. Brushing the icing was tough because mine was a bit thick so I just drizzled with a spoon. All came out delicious and a perfect fall treat!
They were very good - in fact they're like a doughnut-shaped muffin really. Children loved them - not too sweet but they didn't notice with a bit of glaze on top though. Felt quite special having them for a Saturday breakfast. Thanks for the recipe!
Over a year later and I'm updating my review to give it a full five stars. Pre- doughnut pan I had a lot of issues getting a good rise. Now with the pan at my side I get rave reviews every time I make these. Best doughnuts ever!
I loved the flavor of these. They came out delicious. The only disappointment I had was in the lack of rise of the doughnuts.