Recipe by Chris from Kansas
Rich cheesy flavor, yet low in fat. This is an amazingly good pasta dish.
Top Review by Annie H
Hi there! I'm posting with no stars b/c I modified this so extensively. First, I used penne rigate b/c it looked similar but was a little prettier and less expensive. Second, I used munster instead of provolone as my silly market didn't carry provolone. Third, I creamed the onion into the egg mix since husband doesn't like the texture of onions. Third, I only had 3 eggs so I used the yolk out of one of them in addition to all 3 whites. Other than that, I followed the directions precisely. :D Next time, I would leave the onions chopped extra fine on top to add to the color, and I might use a bit of paprika also for the same reason. I would also try shredding the cheese into the egg mix and folding in by hand as the egg mix baked up, well, eggy textured and I would have prefered something a little creamier. It was overall an attractive dish, very easy, and tasted good. Subtle flavor, but good. It's definitely comfort food and I will be making this with the above modifications in the future, and I will try the recipe as written. Overall I would give it 4 stars.
- 10 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onions with top
- black pepper
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt; drain.
- Place in bottom of prepared pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine evaporated milk, skim milk, egg whites, mustard and salt in food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Sprinkle green onions over pasta.
- Pour egg mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with pepper and top with provolone cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinle with parmesan cheese.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chives and red pepper if desired.