1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 35 mins
This is a classic hash recipe turned inside out, just fill the potato! I think oregano or marjoram could also be used in place of the thyme. I also use gloves when handling any chile peppers, don't wanna touch your eye after dealing with peppers! Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, March 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large russet potatoes
- vegetable oil
- coarse kosher salt
- 10 ounces rib eye steaks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch-wide strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red jalapeno chiles, halved, seeded, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Rub potatoes with vegetable oil; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 3Pierce potato with fork several times and place directly on oven rack with a baking sheet on a lower rack to catch any drips.
- 4Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- 5Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper.
- 6Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and sear until brown but still very rare, about 2 minutes per side.
- 7Transfer steak to plate.
- 8Reduce heat to medium. Add bell peppers, onion, and jalapeños to skillet. Sauté until peppers are soft and onion caramelizes, about 30 minutes.
- 9Cut steak crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Halve slices lengthwise into strips.
- 10Add cream, chopped thyme, and steak to pepper mixture.
- 11Simmer until steak is heated through and cream thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Cut cross in potatoes and press on sides to open slightly.
- 13Add salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon butter to each and mash slightly with fork. Top each with steak mixture.
- 14Garnish with thyme if desired.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Potatoes With Rib-Eye Steak Hash
Serving Size: 1 (613 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.7
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 134.8 mg
- Sodium 105.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.2 g