1/1 Photo of Baked Potatoes With Creamy Mushroom Ragout
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
One of my favourite things about mushrooms is the way they add hearty flavour and texture to meatless dishes. Take this recipe, for example, where a hearty vegetarian-friendly mushroom ragout elevates the humble baked potato from simple side dish to a meal in itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Creamy Mushroom Ragout
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1Bake the Potatoes:.
- 2Preheat oven to 425°F Rub the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and prick all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, or until a fork pierced through the skin meets no resistance.
- 3Prepare the Mushroom Ragout:.
- 4While the potatoes are baking, prepare the ragout.
- 5In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat, heat the butter and olive oil until butter is melted and foamy. Add shallots and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until the mushrooms are soft and starting to brown. In a small bowl, whisk together white wine and flour until smooth. Add to the pan along with chicken broth and paprika. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thick. Stir in the sour cream and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to heat through (make sure not to bring to a boil, as this can cause the sauce to curdle). Remove from heat immediately, and stir in dill and parsley. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Once the potatoes are done, transfer them to a cutting board to cool for 5 minutes.
- 8Cut a slit through the top of each potato, and gently push on the ends to create a small pocket for the topping. Sprinkle the inside of each potato with a little salt.
- 9Ladle a generous amount of mushroom ragout onto each potato, letting the excess spill over the sides and onto the plate (yes, it's messy, but it's the best part!). Finish with a sprinkling of parsley or dill, if desired, and lots of black pepper. Serve immediately.
- 10Isabelle Boucher is a well known food blogger who resides in Toronto, working in the Telecom industry by day and whipping up tasty creations by night. Follow her blog, Crumb: A Food Blog, where her tasty recipes and photos are documented.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Potatoes With Creamy Mushroom Ragout
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.4
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 282.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 10.1 g