Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I first saw these my first thought was it seemed pretty strange putting eggs on top of potatoes but they are actually tasty things and very pretty looking as well.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 ounce butter
- 5 ounces broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 8 medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake the potatoes until they are cooked through and the skins are crisp.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan about 5 minutes before the potatoes are done.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, then set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, cut each one in half and scoop most of the flesh into a bowl.
- Stir in the broccoli and mushrooms, along with the pan juices and season well.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins and make a well in the middle.
- Set the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Carefully crack an egg into each well.
- Don't worry if the egg white spills over a bit.
- Return to the oven and cook for 15 minutes until the eggs have just set.
I added a couple of strips of low fat turkey bacon in the bottom of the potato shells. Sprinkled some cheese on the top. Very good comfort food staple.