Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
With a spicy garbanzo filling these baked potatoes from Healthy Cooking can be made even more low-fat by baking without oiling them first.
- 4 baking potatoes, each about 10 oz
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat unsweetened yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Scrub the potatoes and pat dry. Prick all over with a fork, brush with oil if you are using it and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the garbanzo beans with a fork or potato masher. Stir in the spices and half the chopped cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- Halve the cooked potatoes and scoop the flesh into bowl keeping the potato shells intact. Mash the flesh until smooth and gently mix into the garbanzo bean mixture with the yogurt. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Fill the potato shells with the potato/garbanzo bean mixture and place on a cookie sheet. Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, until heated through.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining chopped cilantro.
We both enjoyed these and my partner liked it enough to eat the left over 'stuffing' on its own too. I would say it is more 'spiced' than 'spicy' which is great for me because I don't like really spicy things. My potatoes were a bit small so, rather than cutting them in half I cut a hole in the top and scooped out the middle and restuffed them like a twice backed potato. The only other change I made was that we ran out of yogurt and I didn't know it until I had started cooking. So, I used fat free sour cream instead and it still worked well. Made for ZWT4.
Wonderful vegetarian meal. I really enjoyed the combination of flavours. I microwaved the potatoes for a few minutes and finished baking them in the oven to save time. Other than that I followed the recipe as it's written