- 4 lbs potatoes, pared and very thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish, place 1/3 of the potatoes and 1/3 of the onions; sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with 1/3 of the butter.
- Do this twice more.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover and bake until top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen around edge and invert on a heat-proof platter.
- Sprinkle cheese and cayenne on top and return to oven to brown cheese.