Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Oh, these are so yummy!
- 4 lbs potatoes, pared and very thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish, place 1/3 of the potatoes and 1/3 of the onions; sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with 1/3 of the butter.
- Do this twice more.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover and bake until top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen around edge and invert on a heat-proof platter.
- Sprinkle cheese and cayenne on top and return to oven to brown cheese.
I really like a recipe that survives the leftover process. These were great the first time around and subsequently, reheated in the nuke, just as good with another meal. Thanks keen5 for a great side dish.
Excellent flavor & so easy to make. I got everything ready in the AM, placed the sliced potatoes in cold water so the wouldn't discolor, sliced the onions, covered them, measured out the cheese etc. An hour before dinner I dried the potatoes assembled the pie - popped it into the oven and there it was golden & ready to serve 45 minutes later. I cut the recipe back to 3 sevings
This is a wonderful potato dish! A friend gave me the recipe several years ago and I've since made them quite ofter for dinners and everyone has loved them. Thanks for saving me the time to type this out! :)