Recipe by Barb G.
Another tasty potato recipe. Recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens.
Top Review by Rita~
I halved this recipe and glad I did. It was just OK. I did slice the potatoes thin. Just 2 layers is not hearty enough. After cooking it became very hard. I would suggest making at least 4 layers. And adding more sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup dried funghi porcini or 1⁄2 cup morel (about 3/8 ounce)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl place mushrooms in enough warm water to cover, Let soak fot 30 minutes.
- Drain, Coarsely chop.
- For Sauce, cook mushrooms and onions in hot oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in half of the cheese into the sauce.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes into a greased 1-quart casserole.
- Cover with half of the sauce, REPEAT layering, Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 35 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.