Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Loaded baked potato soup with bacon
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large baking potatoes, baked, peeled and chilled, diced into bite size pieces3 green onions, diced
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot cook bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons pan drippings.
- Add 3 tablespoons of flour to the pan drippings. Whisk and cook one minute over medium heat (Note: Cooking the flour for a minute or so helps prevent your soup from having a pasty taste.) Whisk in the chicken broth.
- Slowly, whisk in the milk. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the milk is warmed through. Whisk in sour cream. Add in cheddar and jack cheeses and stir soup until the cheeses have melted. Add in cooked bacon and remaining ingredients except for green onions. Simmer on medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes or until the soup thickens. Stirring occasionally. Do not let boil or you soup will separate.
- Ladle into soup bowls, top with green onions. Serve hot.