Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love potato soup. I also have mashed potatoes in the fridge frequently. When I mash my potatoes I always add butter and sour cream. They are delicious that way. When I made my potato soup I decided to use them instead of new potatoes. It was so good so now I always make my potato soup this way.
- 4 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken stock, hot
- 4 cups mashed potatoes, with butter and sour cream added to taste
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped or 1⁄8 cup dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diced
- Cook bacon and reserve.
- Cook vegetables in remaining bacon drippings over medium heat until transparent, and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps; cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture just begins to turn golden.
- Add chicken stock gradually, whisking to prevent lumps. Cook until liquid thickens.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, 1/2 & 1/2, chopped bacon, salt, pepper sauce and black pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes; do not allow to boil.
- Add cheese and green onion and heat until cheese melts.
- Garnish each serving as desired with chopped bacon, grated cheese and chopped parsley.