1/2 Photos of Baked Potato Soup & Bread Bowl
Found this on the local news website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes
- 1 jumbo yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb raw bacon, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 cup chicken base
- 1 quart milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1PROCEDURE - For Soup:.
- 2Boil potatoes in water to cover for 10 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- 3Sauté bacon, onions and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender in large, heavy pot.
- 4Drain bacon grease and return bacon, onions and celery to pot.
- 5Add milk, water, chicken base, salt and pepper.
- 6Heat over medium-high heat until very hot but do not let soup boil.
- 7Melt margarine in heavy, large saucepan over low heat.
- 8Stir in flour to make a roux.
- 9Mix well and allow to let bubble, stirring 1 minute. If desired, a larger amount of roux can be made to produce a thicker soup.
- 10Gradually add roux to soup, stirring constantly. Continue to cook, stirring, until thick and creamy.
- 11Stir in potatoes, parsley and cream. Serve hot, garnished with cheese, bacon bits and/or onions. Serve in Bread Bowl.
- 12PROCEDURE - For Bread Bowl:.
- 13Mix ingredients together until soft dough forms. (the dough should be slightly firm to the touch and form a ball. if it is too sticky add a little more flour or if it seems too dry add a little more water).
- 14Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and set aside until double in size, then punch down.
- 15Scale into 4 inch balls, roll round and place in a warm place until they double in size.
- 16Bake in 350’ oven for 18-20 minutes. Let cool.
- 17Slice off top of bread and hollow out inside to form a bowl, careful not to make the "walls" too thin, about they should be about 1" to 1 1/2 thick.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Potato Soup & Bread Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1125.9
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.1 mg
- Sodium 622.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 167.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 28.7 g