Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This resipe uses baked potatoes
Make and share this Baked Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 -3 baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk.
- Scoop potato pulp from one potato; mash.
- Add pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,until mixture just comes to a boil Dice remaining potato skin and potato (es) add to soup.
- Heath though.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with bacon,cheese and green onion.
- VARIATION: For a different twist to this recipe,omit the bacon,cheddar cheese and green onion.
- Cook 2 tablespoons of shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed to the soup when adding the broth.
- Proceed as above.
Great recipe for a quick soup on a cold night. I micro-cooked the 3 large potatoes first and then used one mashed up and the other two cut into thick chunks for the soup. Topped with crispy bacon and some shredded cheddar cheese and we had a filling meal for our family with a bit leftover for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing a great method to have a flavorful soup in a short amount of time.
I've made this recipe a few times after I found it on the Nestle verybestbaking site. It's actually very easy for a weekday meal if you plan ahead and bake the potatos in the morning then assemble and cook at night. It's a winter staple and I couldn't wait for the weather to cool off to start cooking it up again. Bacon, Cheese and Green onions are all optional as garnishes.
my husband loved this, it was very filling. easy to make, it took way less time then the recipe called for. minor changes- i fried the onions in the bacon drippings, because they were already in the pan, and i added a handful of cheese into the soup in addition to the cheese on top.