Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is fantastic on cool days. Only gets better with each day. I usually make it a day or two before I really want it.
- 6 baking potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk
- salt and pepper
- 6 green onions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and bake until fork tender.
- Let cool.
- Melt butter in dutch oven, slowly blend in flour with a wire whisk until throughly blended.
- Gradually add milk to the butter-flour mixture, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in salt and pepper and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size cubes.
- When milk mixture is very hot, add potatoes, green onion, sour cream and bacon.
- Mix throughly and heat completely.
- Add cheese a little at a time until melted.
This was an awesome recipe. It was so easy to make and tasted just like at the resturants. My family enjoyed this for lunch along with Sue l's asiago herb bread and let me tell you it was a real treat.
All the carboholics in the office were in heaven. They licked the bowl clean. Don't tell them that I used low fat EVERYTHING. They have gone on and on about how many calories it probably was. Low fat sour cream, low fat milk, low fat cheese, turkey bacon. I also left the peels on the taters. Great recipe.
I was looking for a different kind of soup to make the other night something quick and I stumbled upon this. I am in heaven I licked my bowl clean, my husband who is not a soup eater had 2 bowls. It is so easy to throw together, this is a keeper, thanks for posting.