Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family loves this recipe and it's great for cold nights. You can spice it up if you want more "kick". Add a salad and a loaf of French bread and you have a piping hot, filling meal in under an hour.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 large baking potatoes, baked and skinned
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (I used the individually wrapped sandwich cheese)
- In a large pot, melt butter and add onions and carrots and cook until tender, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Add milk one can at a time, bringing to a boil after each can.
- Add both cans of broth.
- Mash well 2 of the potatoes, adding some soup to each to make them nice and creamy and nearly lumpless.
- (I used an electric mixer) Add those to the soup and stir well.
- Chop the last potato and add to soup.
- Simmer on low, stirring often until soup thickens a bit.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted, then serve with french bread and a large salad.
Wow! I have been looking for the perfect recipie for baked potato soup for years and I hit the jackpot with this one! Made it while we were snowed in over Christmas and it was excellent. Simple to make, yet smooth as silk and the flavor and consistency were restaurant quality. Thank you for sharing!
You've got a winner here! This is the same recipe I've been using only I use yellow gold potatos cooked in a covered casserole in the microwave for 6-8 minutes or until tender, and I leave the skins on.... Very good soup!!!
Easy to make and really tasty. My family enjoyed it topped with cheese, crumbled bacon, chives and a bit of sour cream, yummy!