Cold weather is on the way and it's almost time for potato harvest. After trying this soup recipe, you will always bake extra potatoes to use in this recipe.
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp (Retain drippings)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled baked potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups light cream (or 1/2 c. water and 2 cans of evaporated milk)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced green onion
- Chop cooked bacon& set aside.
- Cook onions in bacon drippings over medium high heat until transparent.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture begins to turn golden.
- Add broth gradually, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add potatoes, cream, bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, Tabasco sauce, and black pepper.
- Simmer ten minutes on low heat.
- Serve in bowls.
- Top with cheese and green onion.