Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A rich, creamy, comforting soup
Top Review by jerri822
Nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of baked potato soup to fill your tummy on a harsh winter day. This one is the best as far a we are concerned. The tender potatoes and the rich creamy soup, topped with cheddar and bacon. Doesn't get any better. Simply awesome. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 4 large baking potatoes (about 2 3/4 lb.)
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4-2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream.
- Add potatoes and green onions; mix well.
- Ladle into serving bowls; top with bacon and cheddar cheese.