Recipe by Christine Bettiga
A hearty soup that everyone will enjoy, especially on those cold and snowy winter nights!
Top Review by BrandiSue08
Oh my Gosh! This recipe was more than amazing! It was incredible! I woud give this 100 stars if I could. I think my fionce is getting tired of this because I fix it so often! I LOVE THIS RECIPE! Thanks so much!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 -8 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled (to equal 1 cup)
- 5 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- seasoned croutons
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake the potatoes until tender.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the meat, set aside.
- Cut up 2 potato peels into small pieces and discard the rest.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly blend in flour with a wire whisk, until thoroughly blended.
- Gradually add milk to the butter/flour mixture, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Simmer on low, stirring constantly until liquid bubbles.
- When the milk mixture is very hot, whisk in potato.
- Add the potato peels and some of the onion.
- Reserve the rest of the onion to top off the soup when serving.
- Whisk well, add sour cream and bacon.
- Cook on low about 10 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the cheese, a little at a time until it is melted inches.
- Serve with seasoned croutons, fresh onion and cheese on top.