Recipe by Leslie Criswell
This is an awesome, hearty soup. We prefer to serve with corn muffins and a tossed salad...
Top Review by RedhairMac
Just had the last spoonful of this wonderful soup for dinner. Now it's time to wipe the bowl clean with my French bread. Thanks for posting an excellent and easy recipe, Leslie! Yum Yum Yum
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 4 cups baked potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup diced green onion (white part only)
- additional chopped bacon, grated cheese
- and chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Chop bacon and reserve drippings.
- Cook onions in remaining drippings over medium-high heat until transparent, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Cook 3- 5 minutes until mix just begins to run golden.
- Add chicken stock gradually, whisking to prevent lumps, until liquid thickens.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, cream, chopped bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper sauce and black pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes; DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Add grated cheese and green onions.
- Heat until cheese melts smoothly.
- Garnish each serving as desired with chopped bacon, grated cheese and chopped parsley.