Recipe by Apple Girl
The first time I ever tried Baked Potato Soup was at a restaurant called "Pargos" and it was absolutely wonderful. So I searched for the recipe and found it online at cookingcache.com, and make my own little additions and subtractions. No one would EVER know this is low fat. I want more...
- 1 large baking potatoes or 2 small red potatoes, which i prefer, with the eyes cut out
- 1⁄4 cup flour (or a little less)
- 4 ounces processed cheese (I used about 1 oz of light Velveeta and two pieces of fat free processed sandwich cheese)
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
garnish and tops
- sour cream (optional)
- chives (optional)
- low fat bacon bits (optional)
- kraft fat-free cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake your potatoes well, either in the microwave or oven, doesn't matter.
- Let them cool slightly.
- Scoop out the insides and either toss the peel or put it aside to make something with it later.
- Add flour and about 1/4 the chicken broth (slowly added) to a medium saucepan whisking till blended, while heating.
- Add potato, pepper, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat stirring and mashing constantly. It should be thick and bubbly.
- Add cheese stirring until cheese melts and combines with the rest of the ingredients.
- Use soup spoon to add a little more chicken broth if it needs thickening.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into bowl and garnish with a spoonful of fat free sour cream in the center topped with bacon bits, chives, and cheddar if desired.