Recipe by chelsi_smom
This is the yummiest Baked potato soup I've ever had! Every time I make this someone begs for the recipe. I don't remember where this recipe came from but I've been told it's "restaurant quality"!! Most of the prep time is in baking the potatoes.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 -8 slices crisp bacon (or you can use the real bacon pieces to equal 1 c)
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned croutons
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, bake potatoes until tender.
- Cut potatoes, scrape out meat and set aside.
- Cut two peels into small pieces and discard the rest (you can leave peels out if you wish, I do).
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Slowly blend flour with wire wisk until blended thoroughly.
- Gradually add milk to butter/flour mixture, wisking constantly.
- Wisk in seasonings.
- Simmer on low, stirring constantly until liquid bubbles.
- When milk mixture is VERY hot, wisk in potato.
- Add potato peels (if using them).
- Wisk well, add sour cream and bacon.
- Cook on low about 10 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cheese a little at a time until melted in.
- Serve with seasoned croutons, cheese, bacon and green onions on top.