6 hrs 21 mins
Battle in Seattle's Note:
I got this from a Southern Living Crock-Pot cookbook. It's so creamy and delicious, just the way it ought to taste! It's a great meal for kids and husbands alike! (The cookbook used everything full fat and a 1/2 tsp. more salt; I've chosen to lighten it up a bit where I didn't see it would change the taste or texture.) Don't worry about overcooking it if you need to leave it longer than it says. I usually throw it together in the morning before work, leave the crockpot on high, and when I come home at 5pm to finish, it's still fine. You should regard the cooking time as minimum time needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 3/4 lbs.)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 42 ounces organic low sodium chicken broth (5 1/4 cups)
- 1 whole garlic clove, smashed with the back of your knife
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half (can substitute whipping cream)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (can substitute finely chopped scallions or green onions)
- 1 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- additional shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Combine first 7 ingredients in a 5-quart slow-cooker.
- 2Cover and cook on high for six hours, or low for 8-10 hours--or, cook until potato is tender.
- 3Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- 4Stir in half-n-half, cheese, and chives.
- 5In each individual bowl, top with a dallop of sour cream, if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese before eating.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.8
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 857.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 13.6 g