Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but it looks great. I found it at www.topsecretrecipes.com.
Make and share this Baked Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon (as a mostly-vegetarian, I would omit this) (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped (green part only!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake the potatoes for an hour, or until done.
- When potatoes have cooked remove them from oven to cool.
- As potatoes cool, melting butter in large saucepan, and saute onion until light brown.
- Add the flour to the onions and stir.
- Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potato flakes, and spices to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out contents with a large spoon.
- Discard skin.
- Chop baked potato with a large knife to make chunks that are about 1/2-inch in size.
- Add chopped baked potato and half and half to saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer the soup for another 15 minutes or until it is thick.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of soup into a bowl and top with about a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese, a 1/2 tbs of bacon (if you want!) and a teaspoon or so of chopped green onion.
great soup. and easy!
We loved this with a few changes. I used two cans of diced potatoes and milk instead of half and half. I loved the seasoning. I added about 1 1/2 of cheddar cheese and 3 ounces of cooked bacon directly to the soup. Hubby took about half the soup and added minced clams to it and some old bay and he liked it even more. Even my boys told me I could make this again. So easy and good!
Great! I used 4 large baking potatoes I had microwaved the day before for this. I cut the recipe in half & used 1 stalk of thinly sliced celery and many chopped celery leaves and not as much onion. Syco chicken base with water and milk.Basil & thyme was wonderful! I topped two bowls with minced bacon, shredded parmesan cheese and green onion. The other bowl will no garnish. I didn't have any half & half so used milk but I didn't want it thick like mashed potatoes so left the instant out. . I will make again, just this way. The cornstarch was enough to make the consistency just right! Thanks for posting!