Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 21 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Consider this the down-home comfort version of a loaded twice-baked potato -- warm and creamy, just the way potato soup should be.
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours or until potato is tender.
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened; stir in cream, cheese, and chives. Top with sour cream, if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and Cheddar cheese before serving.