Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I love baked potatoes so was delighted to come across this recipe in Taste of Home. It is very rich - but oh so good!
- 4 large baking potatoes, about 2 3/4 lbs
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until tender. Cool completely.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan - melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream.
- Add potatoes and green onions.
- Garnish with bacon and cheese.
Hearty comfort food! Not quite as rich as I expected from the recipe, and the bacon garnish is essential -- if you don't use it, you will probably want more salt and pepper. Constant stirring is needed while heating to keep it from thickening unevenly. I had misgivings about adding the cold potatoes after the heat was off, but that worked well and the warmth distributed in a minute or two. Made for OZ/NZ Swap May 2008.