Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Definitely a hearty meal. I am sure that some of the fat and calories could be reduced by low-fat/cal ingredients, but every now and then you have to splurge.
- 6 -8 ounces sliced bacon, fried crisp & crumbled (6-8 slices, reserve small amount for garnish)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 large potatoes, baked and cooled (DO NOT MICROWAVE)
- 2⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 cups hot chicken broth or 6 cups hot milk
- 2 cups sour cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper sauce or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped (separate white & green part)
- Cook and crumble bacon, saving drippings in pan.
- Cut potatoes in half, scoop out center.
- Chop half of the peel, discard the rest.
- Cook yellow onion in bacon drippings about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps, cook 3-5 min until mixture just begins to turn golden.
- Gradually add 2 cups chicken stock, or hot milk, whisking to prevent lumps, until mixture thickens.
- Pour into large sauce pan & add remaining hot liquid.
- Reduce heat to simmer, whisk in potatoes, peels, sour cream, chopped bacon, parsley, garlic powder, basil, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Add cheddar cheese & white part scallions, heat until cheese melts thoroughly.
- Top with chopped bacon, green part scallions, and cheese.