Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this recipe out of a newspaper a couple of years ago and altered it a little to make it easier.
- 4 large potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded (I use the 4 cheese classic melts blend)
- 12 pieces cooked bacon (crumbled)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Bake potatoes (easiest and fastest method - use the microwave - bake one at a time).
- Let potatoes cool, and scoop out pulp, discard skins.
- In large pot, melt butter, stir in flour, continue to stir until smooth.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper, 1/2 the chopped onion, and 1/2 the bacon. (fast method, buy the already cooked bacon) add cheese.
- Stir in sour cream.
- This as listed is a very thick sauce.
- Add more milk if needed for desired consistency.
- Also, salt and pepper to taste. This is very little salt and pepper for this recipe. I perfer little salt. Most people would add more.
- Heat throughly.
- When serving--top with green onion and bacon garnishes in each bowl.
Nice and simple potato soup. I usually make a more traditional potato soup and I decided to try this. It's like a loaded baked potato in soup form. I used more milk for a thinner consistency and added a little garlic powder because that is my personal preference. I will be making it again in the future. Thanks for the recipe.
I made this recipe on 10/21/11 for our dinner and most importantly the 2011 Fall PAC Event :). Since it was just my SO and myself, the recipe was cut in half (but not again ;)). For the potatoes, I had a baked potato left over from the night before, so that was used along a couple that I had made in the microwave. In Step 2, I diced one of the potatoes to give the soup a bit of texture. Except for using the full amount of cheese the recipe was made as it was written. Thank you for a soup that is both "soul warming and tummy filling ". This will be made again. " Keep Smiling :) "
This was a great, thick, easy to make soup. I did think it needed a lot more salt and pepper but other then that - it was great. Will make again. This is a really thick soup but I love it that way. Made for Fall PAC 2007.