Recipe by Kaccy G.
This is one of my favorite soups. I got this recipe from my most used cookbook. Try using turkey bacon and light/fat free ingredients for a healthier option. Cooking times does not include baking potatoes
Top Review by Bev
We enjoyed this soup very much! This is a rich and creamy potato soup. The baked potato helps to give a lot of flavor. I made as directed adding more salt as desired. I served with a tossed green salad. Thank you, kcdelong!
- 12 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
- 4 potatoes, baked, peeled and cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a stockpot, melt margarine over medium heat, add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stir constantly until thickened.
- Add cubed potatoes, onions and spices. Bring to a boil, stir frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add bacon, cheese and sour cream. Stir until cheese is melted.