Recipe by bgriddle
From "The Best of Cooking Light" cookbook. Very good, low cal recipe, and very satisfying!
Top Review by Manami
hi bgriddle, this was awesome! Have eaten the regular "loaded-up" soup and this is by far better and doesn't leave you bloated. It was a nice balance of different flavors! Made it the night before, & I had a bowl; then served it the next day -- wonderful!! Did add some chives as well. Thanks for posting, Diane :)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes (about 4)
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400°F for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash. Discard skins.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil); ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each servings with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon.