Recipe by CindiJ
With low supplies and 2 men in the house cold and hungry I came up with this tasty soup tonight. I was "ordered" to write this down (before I forgot)and make it again! I left the skins on the potatoes for extra texture.
- 5 large potatoes, baked & cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (6 ounce) jarsharp old english cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh ham, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake potatoes till done. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- In large stock pot, melt butter and stir in flour; stir constantly approximately 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in chicken broth with wisk to smooth out the roux. Season with salt & pepper.
- Reduce heat and add the half and half, milk, jar cheese, velveeta cheese.
- Stir often to prevent scoarching.
- In skillet saute ham and onion; add to stock pot.
- In same skillet, fry bacon; remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Add potatoes and let simmer over low heat approximately 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in sour cream and serve.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with crumbled bacon, chopped green onion and a sprinkling of the shredded cheddar cheese.