Recipe by MSZANZ
This is my version of the Pampered Chef Baked Potato soup found in their Main Dishes Cook book. It is pretty much the same except for more bacon and I have also added my experience of making it in a crock pot. The color isn't quite as nice with the crock pot but it still tastes good.
Top Review by mamaXmama
This was a great choice to feed my picky boyfriend, and his family. I increased the amount of bacon, sour cream, and garlic. I also added in a large vidalia onion and some paprika. Thanks so much! It's a keeper!
- 4 medium baked potatoes, cooled
- 5 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onions with top, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel or scrape out the insides of the baked potatoes and coarsly mash.
- Cook bacon in a 4 qt pot until crisp.
- Drain bacon on a paper towel and remove all but about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of drippings from the pot.
- Add chicken broth, milk, potatoes, celery, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to the drippings in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and bacon and top with cheese.
- NOTE To cook in a crock pot, I cook the bacon in a skillet, add the drippings to the crock pot and then follow the directions using the crock pot instead of the regular pot. I cook on high for 4 hours or low for 5 or 6. It just has to get hot enough to soften the celery a little. I add the sour cream, bacon, and cheese before serving.