Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you love soups in winter as I do,you will love this. I got the recipe from a magazine.
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place potatoes in the oven and cook for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile heat water in a large saucepan and add chopped celery to the water and simmer until celery is tender.
- When potatoes are fully cooked, slice down the center and scoop the pulp out of each potato and add to celery and water.
- Add milk. butter, sour cream, bacon, green onions, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, parsley or dill and salt and pepper.
- Allow mixture to simmer over low-medium heat until it thickens.
- Serve hot with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. You may also add chives (from the top of the green onions), bacon pieces and sour cream.
This is so good!! It's rich and creamy and not for those on a diet A bowl of this soup, some whole grain crackers (or bread) and a crisp side salad and the meal is complete. My husband votes it tops and he's pain in the backside picky. I omited the dill and the soup was the better for it. This will be made again in our home.