This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe which was printed in Cooking Light. We enjoy this recipe because it is quick, filling, and inexpensive to prepare.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese (4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 -3 microwaved potatoes
- Combine the first 6 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin) in a large nonstick skillet; stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer the tomato mixture at least 15 minutes-stirring occasionally. I like my mixture fairly chunky so you can adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Split open the baked potatoes and put the mixture inside.
- I normally cut my potato completely open, mash it and put the mixture on top adding the cheese and green onions.
- You can certainly add extra ingredients like sour cream etc.
- My wife and I usually serve this with a green salad.