Recipe by LorenLou
Two recipes in one, and both delicious! Enjoy the appetizer recipe while you are letting the other one bake. Cooking time is for pie recipe only. Slightly modified from Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo 50th Anniv. cookbook.
- 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved,but baked is better
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onions, tops only or 1⁄4 cup chives
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits or 2 -3 tablespoons packaged bacon bits (bacon fried crisp and crumbled is best of course)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (light is fine)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the baked potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out carefully, leaving potato shells thin and intact- set aside for appetizers, below.
- Mash the scooped-out potatoes with a potato masher, adding the butter, sour cream and green onions.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9" glass pie plate with cooking spray and spread baked potato mixture in the plate.
- Top with the grated cheddar, and bake 15 minutes at 350.
- FOR THE APPETIZERS:.
- Brush the insides of the empty potato shells with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle each one with a dash of Tabasco and salt.
- Cut the potatoes into 1" strips, and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes or until crisp.