Recipe by @DRiENNE
This is a recipe for french onion mashed potatoes, in which I, again, added my own twist. The trick to this is to keep everything hot throughout the entire process.
- 2 lbs potatoes, of choice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional) or 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese (optional)
- minced chives (as desired)
- bacon bits (as desired)
- cheddar cheese (as desired)
- sour cream (as desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes & cut them into halves or quarters, depending on size.
- Put in a large pot of water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cook approximately 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- In small pan, heat the milk & 4 tablespoons of the butter. Cook until melted & warm.
- In separate pan, sauté the onions in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until caramelized to a golden brown. Add the sherry to the pan & sauté another 2 minutes until liquid evaporates.
- Drain potatoes. Add the milk/butter mixture & start mashing. Season with salt & pepper, then add onions.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Remove from the heat. I recommend dishing up single servings & adding the remaining ingredients to those. You may also exclude the last 3 ingredients and simply top with gravy.