Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup is fantastic! Think of a loaded baked potato with butter, sour cream, onion, cheese, and bacon. Now picture it as a creamy bowl of delicious soup. Yum! Potatoes are used skin and all so be sure to scrub them well.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (about 1/2 pound each)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, sliced and rinsed well (white and light green parts)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices thick bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1/4 pound, see Cook's Note)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion tops or 2 tablespoons chives
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes, pat dry, and pierce several times with a fork. Set them directly on the oven rack and bake until very tender, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- *Cook's Note: Sharp cheese works well in this soup because it melts smoothly. Extra sharp will give you a more pronounced flavor but because of the lower moisture content, the soup will be less smooth.
I used the ingredients of this recipe to make a soup but couldn't be bthered baking the potatoes first so just made the regular way, it was a lovely smooth creamy tasty soup that was enjoyed by the whole family...I think there are a few steps of the recipe missing though so I just made as I do regular soup.